On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> => > On an unmodified Bacula system, dbcheck can run for days.
> => Literally.
>
> Ah. Ok. So, my attempts to run dbcheck were actually working normally.

Yes.

> => The queries for orphan files, paths and filenames will run ok once this is
> => done (cut runtime down from 3 days to about 20 minutes for over 100
> => million entries)
>
> That's good to know.
>
> Do you know why those indicies aren't enabled by default? What's the overhead
> (CPU and disk space) needed to generate and maintain the indicies?

Because they're seldom needed.

> Does having the indicies speed up other bacula operations?

Not as far as I can tell - and there's a slight performance penalty
associated with inserts because of them. Restores seem a bit faster but
that's about it.

> Are there any other hints you can offer regarding database tuning
> (particularly
> with mysql 5.0.22)?

No, but there's plenty of archived discussion on the issue.

As far as I know, noone's really studied Bacula database/query
optimisation.

It isn't so important on small backups, but it would make a big difference
on backups and restore of multi-million file filesystems. The hard part is
keeping such optimisations portable.

AB