Are you using VSS? Volume Shadow Copy service is actually designed to make backups of locked files like outlook’s .pst, so it should work with Enable VSS=Yes option in the FileSet config.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jim Peters
Sent: 22 September 2006 09:42
To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Bacula-users] close Outlook on windows client

I searched through the archives and found instructions on how use a “run before job” script to shut down outlook so I can backup the pst file. I have a batch file in the bacula directory on my windows client that I call from the job with this;

Client RunBeforeJob= "c:/bacula/before_back.bat"

This file has only one line right now;

Cscript "c:\bacula\close_outlook.vbs"

And here is the contents of close_outlook.vbs;

Dim oOL

Set oOL = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

oOL.Quit

If I run the batch file from the windows client immediately outlook exits and all is fine, but if I run the job with bacula I see the command window open up on the windows client then a windows error message appears saying this;

Cannot Start Microsoft Office Outlook. A program Error has occurred please close outlook and windows then try again.

If I shut down outlook at this point I get a fatal error in the backup and it terminates the job. If I just wait for about a min. the windows error message goes away and the backup continues to work except that it cant back up the outlook pst file and this is what I see in the message on the console;

22-Sep 01:08 gig-fd: ClientRunBeforeJob:

22-Sep 01:08 gig-fd: ClientRunBeforeJob: C:\WINDOWS\system32>Cscript "c:\bacula\close_outlook.vbs"

22-Sep 01:08 gig-fd: ClientRunBeforeJob: Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.6

22-Sep 01:08 gig-fd: ClientRunBeforeJob: Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1996-2001. All rights reserved.

22-Sep 01:08 gig-fd: ClientRunBeforeJob:

22-Sep 01:10 gig-fd: ClientRunBeforeJob: c:\bacula\close_outlook.vbs(2, 1) Microsoft _vbscript_ runtime error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'Outlook.Application'

Doesn’t make sense to my pea brain why I can run this file by clicking on it from windows and all is well yet when the Bacula-dir executes it I get this problem. It’s the same file executing either way????

At any rate does anyone have a solution for this? I am running office 2003, windows xp and winbacula-1.38.9 on the client and bacula version 1.38.9 on the director

Thanks