> On Wednesday 25 October 2006 23:18, Martin Simmons wrote:
> > > On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 23:00:09 +0200, Christoph Haas said:
> > > Actually I haven't changed my config in months. And after each full
> > > backup I can run dbcheck and it will remove a few ten thousand File
> > > entries. So I suspected that some part of Bacula misses to remove old
> > > database rows. And it didn't crash either. The storage daemon dies
> > > from time to time though. But that should keep altering the database
> > > directly anyway.
> >
> > Yes, it sounds like a bug to me.  Which database is that?  Did Bacula do
> > any pruning during the night?
>
> MySQL 4.1.11a on Debian Sarge. I intend to switch to PostgreSQL 8.1 anyway
> when I upgrade that machine to Debian Etch. I'm not entirely happy with
> MySQL.

OK.  Hopefully it doesn't lose SQL commands though!

I think you should upgrade to Bacula 1.38.11 before investigating any further,
because that contained a bug fix for pruning (see
http://bugs.bacula.org/bug_view_advanced_page.php?bug_id=0000613).

> > It would be useful to remove the cron job one night and run dbcheck
> > manually to list the orphaned File records and find the JobIds.
>
> Okay. How would I do that? Doesn't dbcheck just tell me the quantity of
> orphaned records? I just tried it:
>
> Select function number: 8
>
> Checking for orphaned File entries. This may take some time!
> Found 176 orphaned File records.
>
> That's from last night where I incrementally backed up three hosts. 6 jobs
> were pruned according to the logs but no files were found to prune.

If you switch on verbose mode then it will ask if you want to list them.

> > Then
> > try to find out when the corresponding records with the same JobId were
> > removed from the Job table (since that's what orphaned means for a File
> > record).
>
> Uhm. Any hint on what to look for?

The verbose file listing includes the jobid, so the first thing to check is
that this is a sensible value and then check in your logs to see if that job
was old enough to be pruned.

__Martin