Hello,                                     1 November 2006

This contents of this email is for discussion on the Bacula email
list, but not yet a topic for "publication".

As you are probably aware, I am planning certain reorganizations
of the Bacula project for a number of reasons. Two of the
objectives that I have are to make the project less dependent
on one person (me) and to ensure that the source code remains
Free Software forever. These two objectives involve the
creation of a Bacula entity (an Association or a Foundation),
and the transfer of the copyright from myself to some entity.

The purpose of this email is to give you, the Bacula users,
advanced notice of what I think is the best path for the
copyright transfer so that you can provide your feedback
on it prior to my final decision. Currently, the timing is
to send you this email as soon as possible then to make
the final decision on the 15th of November with implementation
before the end of the month.

Several months ago, I met with Georg Greve, the President of
the Free Software Foundation Europe (FSFE). I learned that
he was in the process of creating the FSFE Freedom Task Force
to work with projects that would like to enter into a fiduciary
license agreement with the FSFE with the objective to offload
the adminstrative (legal) needs of the project to the FSFE
while keeping the project adminstration unchanged.  The
Freedom Task Force has been in operation since the beginning
of October with Shane Coughlan heading it up.

Probably the best explaination of their policy as it relates to
Bacula is described in the "FSFE Fiduciary Licensing Policy",
which I have attached to this email in pdf format.

A short summary of what I am proposing is:
1. Transfer the Bacula copyright to the FSFE.
2. There will be no change in the license, which is defined
   in the LICENSE file -- only the copyright holder will
   be changed.
3. FSFE will look after the legal matters of maintaining and,
   if necessary, defending the license.
4. Aside from the copyright assignments for important
   contributions, there will be no other changes to the
   project resulting from the copyright transfer.
5. The final transfer of the copyright will occur on or
   shortly after the 15th of November and will apply to the
   next released version.
6. The official announcement of the formation of the FSFE
   Freedom Task Force, and that Bacula will particpate
   in their Fiduciary Licensing will be made at the end
   of November.

My belief is that this copyright transfer will be beneficial
to the project in many respects: assure that the source
remains Free Software, ensure that the source is not tied
to any single person, off load most of the legal tasks,

If any of you have concerns, comments, or questions, please
do not hesitate to voice them now, either on the Bacula email
lists or directly to me. I will take all comments
and concerns into consideration and attempt to answer all the
questions. Since I am on vacation and my Internet access is
very limited, some or all my responses may be delayed until
after my return on the 10th of November.

Until the official FSFE announcement, I request that you keep
this information (FSFE Freedom Task Force, Bacula participation)
confidential to this list.

Best regards,

Kern