I now have found btape so I set my tape testing on fill this morning.

After 12 hours it's only managed 3GB. It is reporting about 70kb/s,
which is consistent with the rate it's reporting.

With other programs (Windows 98/Veritas backup and Linux/Amanda) it
can fill a 10GB tape in that time (it's spec is 60MB/min and as I
recall but didn't note Amanda was not far off - from memory I think it
was a about 40MB/min).

I have had to set 512 byte blocks (it didn't work with variable size
and mt reports that it has 512 byte blocks). Others have also reported
this requirement. The drive is on an IDE cable shared with the CDROM
(not in use) so it should have full access to the IDE port.

With other programs when writing data the tape whirrs continuously in
one direction. With btape it is winding one way then silent the
rewinding then going forward (that's what it sounds like anyway). That
will clearly hit the performance if it doesn't write continuously.

The drive is a Travan 20 (10GB native, 20GB compressed) Seagate
STT220000A.

Clearly the performance is much reduced from what the drive is capable
of. Has anyone suggestions (ideally first hand experience of this or a
very similar model, e.g the STT28000A 8GB/4GB version) that could
help?

The drive may be a few years old, but it's capacity and speed (when
it's going at it's flat out speed) suits my requirements, plus I have
a second drive in another machine which gives me some redundancy in
the event of a failure).

This is the definition that I added to bacula-sd.conf:

Device {
 Name = Travan
 Description = "Travan 10/20GB"
 Media Type = TR-5