Hopefully this doesn't come across as a question with an obvious answer, but
I'm wondering if there is any reason why one can not or should not use
Bacula to back up (and restore later if necessary such as if there is a
physical disk failure) an entire disk partition of a platform (at the moment
specifically I'm thinking of a machine or machines with Ubuntu Linux
installed -- Dapper Drake or Edgy -- but later would want to extend to Mac
OS X and FreeBSD if feasible)?

The reason I ask is that I've noticed that Bacula hasn't gotten too much
attention it seems on the Ubuntu wiki with regard to backup and recovery
solutions and I have seen several on various mailing lists suggest using a
lower level disk imaging technology for backing up entire partitions such as
"parted" and "partedimage" of which there are also graphical front ends
(such as QParted).

Has anyone had experiences backing up entire partitions of any platform (be
it Linux (Ubuntu or not), Mac OS X, FreeBSD, et al)?

Cheers.