--On Samstag, 25. November 2006 04:41 -1000 Hydro Meteor
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oops, looks like I was able to answer my own question for the most part
> as I had missed parts in the current manual describing configuring to
> back up a raw partition (sparse = yes). Even so, it would be interesting
> to hear from anyone who has some experiences and scar tissue from doing
> so in a production environment.
>
> Even more specifically, besides flavors of Linux, it would be interesting
> to hear of anyone who has any direct experiences with HFSX (the version
> of the HFS+ Apple file system that is case sensitive). I can't imagine
> case sensitivity being a problem since Apple's HFS+ deviates from most of
> the world's modern day file systems which are typically case sensitive.

AFAIK the fs-type is not of much interest when backing up a raw partition.
The partition/fs should not be mounted though for obvious reasons.

> On 11/25/06, Hydro Meteor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Hopefully this doesn't come across as a question with an obvious answer,
> but I'm wondering if there is any reason why one can not or should not
> use Bacula to back up (and restore later if necessary such as if there is
> a physical disk failure) an entire disk partition of a platform (at the
> moment specifically I'm thinking of a machine or machines with Ubuntu
> Linux installed -- Dapper Drake or Edgy -- but later would want to extend
> to Mac OS X and FreeBSD if feasible)?
>
> The reason I ask is that I've noticed that Bacula hasn't gotten too much
> attention it seems on the Ubuntu wiki with regard to backup and recovery
> solutions and I have seen several on various mailing lists suggest using
> a lower level disk imaging technology for backing up entire partitions
> such as "parted" and "partedimage" of which there are also graphical
> front ends (such as QParted).
>
> Has anyone had experiences backing up entire partitions of any platform
> (be it Linux (Ubuntu or not), Mac OS X, FreeBSD, et al)?

I have never done raw backups with bacula, so I can't tell you much about
using this for production. IMHO backing up at device level doesn't seem
very logical for backup and recovery though, if you have the option of a
direct fs-backup, which is the case for Linux, FreeBSD and OSX.

Regards,
Georg