Martin Simmons wrote:
>> I have a problem that may be simple. But trying to get a traceback is
>> proving to be problematic. Following the directions in the manual, and
>> what I could find in archives, I believe I am doing it correctly.
>> However a couple issues spring up.
>>
>> First, the manual states that running btraceback manually should send
>> the current state of bacula and exit leaving the processes running. This
>> is true if there are no jobs running.
>> http://pixelhammer.com/DAve/Bacula/btraceback2.txt
>>
>> But if jobs are running, bacula-dir goes away. Should btraceback stop
>> bacula-dir?
>> http://pixelhammer.com/DAve/Bacula/btraceback3.txt
>>
>> And finally, the traceback I get when I see the problem I am trying to
>> report. I get the strange feeling that I need more information to
>> properly report the problem to Kern.
>> http://pixelhammer.com/DAve/Bacula/btraceback1.txt
>>
>> I am running Bacula 1.38.5
>> FreeBSD 5.4
>> Bacula installed from ports.
>> I have debug set to a value of 99.
>> I am running btraceback manually as root with the following command.
>> btraceback /usr/local/sbin/bacula-dir 86459
>>
>> The PID is correct and  /usr/local/sbin/btraceback has been correctly
>> edited.
>>
>> Thanks, any assistance is appreciated.
>
> The errors "Previous frame inner to this frame (corrupt stack?)" and "No
> stack" can mean several things, in order of likeliness:
>
> 1) the code doesn't contain sufficient debug info
> 2) gdb is broken or incompatible with gcc
> 3) gcc is broken or incompatible with gdb

As this is a clean install, nothing beyond Bacula is installed other
than the base OS, I think 2 and 3 are not likely the problem. However
I'll look into the FreeBSD archives to see if anything has been reported.

> You could try configuring and building Bacula with CFLAGS="-g" to solve 1,
> though there will still be issues with the system libraries.

I can do that, my next step was to abandon the port and build from
source for that reason. What issues would this cause with system libraries?

> If that doesn't work, then building your own gdb from the latest sources might
> help with 2.  You might be able to build your own gcc too, but that's pretty
> drastic.

I have built gcc from sources before, it has never solved any problem it
was advised as a solution for 8^(   That will be my last ditch effort
before changing the OS.

> Finally, you can run bacula-dir directly under gdb (add the -f option when
> starting bacula-dir).  Then interrupt bacula-dir and use the gdb commands in
> the script at the gdb command line, which should allow you to skip any that
> fail.

I can give that a try though scheduling a time frame might be difficult.
There are some features in 2.0 we have been waiting for, I am
considering moving all services and clients to 2.0 first on the off
chance the problem may go away. I did not see anything in the release
notes that leads me to believe so, but then again I have not opened a
bug either.

So as a heads up, the issue I am trying to get a traceback on is the
following.

We are still unable to get a specific client fd to transfer more than
7.5GB of data. We have updated the client to 1.38.10, tried heartbeat,
compression on/off, scheduled based on max available bandwidth. We even
let the backup project wait until the client server was replaced. It is
now running a fresh install of Windows Server 2003 on new hardware.

I did discover after repeated queries that the network admin also had to
configure a NetScreen FW between the client server and our COLOC switch.
That is another device to investigate that I was not aware of. I have
not yet attempted working with the network buffer size as I do not have
enough information/knowledge on how to calculate the requirements.

> __Martin

Thank you,

DAve

Veterans?