On Friday 19 January 2007 01:27, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 1/19/2007 12:19 AM, Benjamin Chambers wrote:
> > Thanks for the reply Arno.
> >
> > The manual certainly seems to be converging on the idea that USB and DVD
SD's

http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Storage_Daemon_Configuratio.html#SECTION001750000000000000000

> Right, but I guess the manual needs some work there. Or I'll have to
> look up Kerns mails regarding how he implemented better removable disk
> handling :-)
>
> > OK...not in the 18pt font header, but certainly in the content of the
> > documentation in the following sections...
>
> ... because "Requires Mount = Yes|No
>      You must set this directive to yes for DVD-writers, and to no for
> all other devices (tapes/files). This directive indicates if the device
> requires to be mounted to be read, and if it must be written in a
> special way. If it set, Mount Point, Mount Command, Unmount Command and
> Write Part Command directives must also be defined." does not make
> sense. Unless, of course, you take the path I mentioned - use a special
> handler script to copy part files (which is more or less nonsense).
>
> Anyway, the above snippet states that when you set RequiresMount, the
> device "must be written in a special way". Which is not why you use
> removable USB devices... Also, it states that it must be set to no for
> files. Which contradicts the lines under the heading which you probably
> referred to.
>
> > Hmmm....
> >
> > Confused which direction to take.
>
> I'm quite sure Kern presented his way of using removable USB storage
> devices, and I suppose Joshs HowTo might be interesting.

Use the OS udev feature, tell Bacula the USB is a file, point it at the mount
point, and tell Bacula that it is removable, and things should more or less
work out OK.  Tha is the OS will automatically mount it when it is plugged
in, and Bacula will ask you to mount it when it is not there, you plug it in
and the OS will mount it, then you enter "mount" in bconsole, and Bacula
should be happy.

If a different USB is mounted on the specified device (mount point), Bacula
will scan it to see if there are any appendable volumes (essentially
identical to the case of having a different tape in the drive). If there are
appendable volumes on the currently mounted USB device, Bacula will use them,
otherwise (provided you set it as removable), Bacula will request you to
mount the proper volume.