> James Harper wrote:
> > Is it just me, or did the list just duplicate about 20 emails from a
few
> > days ago?
>
> Upon examining full headers of two identical messages, it appeared to
be
> some sort of snafu between my client and my server. Messages I had
> downloaded and that should have been tagged as downloaded somehow got
> downloaded again. Although the original headers and message-id (set by
> sendmail on the server) were identical, and the date time stamp was
> identical, the X-UIDL was different. I believe X-UIDL is written by
> Thunderbird, since it is sandwiched between X-Account-Key and
> X-Mozilla-Status in the headers.

I've deleted the dupe's now, and didn't think to check the headers. I
use Microsoft Outlook though, against a Microsoft Exchange server, so
I'm fairly sure that the problem hadn't occurred at my end. I'll look
into it further if it happens again though.

I think what I saw was that about 10-20 messages which first appeared a
week or so suddenly appeared in my inbox again. As someone suggested,
the situation may be as follows:

1. Person A is subscribed to -users and -devel
2. Person B is subscribed to -users only
3. Person A cross-posts a message to -users and -devel
4. Person B does a 'reply all' to that message
5. The message goes to -users, but not to -devel as they are not
subscribed so the messages are held in a 'pending moderation' queue
instead.
6. Such messages accumulate over time, and at some point are released by
a moderator
7. I see what looks like a bunch of duplicate messages in my inbox. They
aren't eliminated by the normal duplicate detection because of the time
lag between the original and the dupe.

I'm making a few assumptions though about the way the list works, and
the moderation process, and how my mail server handles duplicate
messages.

Assuming that my analysis above is right, is there a way to allow
someone who is subscribed to at least one bacula- list to post to
another without requiring a subscription? I guess that's a feature that
sourceforge either has or hasn't, so the answer should be a simple one
:)

James