Hello.

On 1/27/2007 12:23 AM, cy tune wrote:
> I have a question about DVD+RW vs. DVD-RAM.  I read through the archives
> but I didn't see anything comparing DVD+RW vs DVD-RAM.  Here's my plan:
>
> a) DVD+RW or DVD-RAM for incremental daily backups.  I am planning on at
> least 7 disks so I can extend the lifetime of the media.  DVD-RAM would
> last longer and I like the hardware verification.
>
> b) DVD+R for archiving weekly and full backups.  Probably dual layer for
> full backups and single layer for weekly.  I don't think I'll generate
> much more data than that.

One byte more than what you can put onto a disk is enough :-)

> Will DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM all work fine when I need multiple disks
> for each task?  If a weekly backup needs 3 disks, will that be okay?
> Similarly for the other tasks.

You mean, if you can mix the three media types? No. You can mix DVD+R
and +RW but DVD-RAM is treated differently.

> Is there any different setup you would recommend?  I looked into tape
> drives but they are so expensive for the tapes and drives.

The have much higher capacity, are more reliable, and more robust... I
prefer tape or, if offsite storage and the ability to endlessly add
storage count less than speed (and price) disk.

>  Right now
> I'm leaning towards DVD+RW and DVD+R because I know it's supported
> according to the bacula manual.

Yes, it should work, but I must admit I haven't tried it seriously since
the first 1.39 versions.

> Has anyone used DVD-RAM

DVD-RAM should usually be used just like a removable disk, i.e. insert
disk, create filesystem, use, unmount. This is quite different to what
Bacula does with DVDs.

> with the hardware verification?  I'm not sure
> how to turn that on/off in Linux since it's just treated as a hard
> drive.  According to the wikipedia entry, it will take about twice as
> long to write.

Right, it takes longer and it's always on. This is not something you can
turn on or off, AFAIK.

> I'm only concerned with backing up a single system (linux 2.6.18) but
> will soon be interested in at least 1 more.
>
> Thanks.

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]