> >> For example, starting the director like this:
> >>
> >>    # bacula-dir -c '|/usr/local/sbin/generate-dir-config'
> >
> > Maybe I am missing some important point, but by now I can't see any mayor
> > benefits of your solution compared with:
> >
> >  # /usr/local/sbin/generate-dir-config > /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf &&
> > bacula-dir -c /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf
>
> I myself can't see the point of generate-dir-config. I know this is just
> an example, but what might this script/program do that a flat file
> can't? Maybe I'm missing something neat here, but I'm curious what one
> would want to do with such a thing.

We have hundreds of clients to back up and fairly high turnover. All of
our information about the clients (budget codes, email addresses, client
IP, which storage node to back up to, and so on) are in a custom local
database. There are a couple of ways that the database is updated (local
scripts and web pages, either started by admin staff or directly by
customers).

We could run a command to regen the config whenever anyone modifies a
record, but that's distributing work that really ought to be centralized
(we'd have to have lockfiles and make sure that all of the cases were
handled). The simple solution is to have the director actually generate
its own configuration file on demand.

The general idea comes from Radiator, which does something similar.

-- Jorj