> On Wednesday 28 March 2007 16:59, Lonny Selinger wrote:
>> Is there any way to specify job and file retention based on job or schedule
>> rather than client? Just wondering what options in the hashes are viable in
>> other hashes if any. I've created daily, weekly, and monthly jobs and for
> each
>> I would like to have different retention periods.
>>
>> By creating different pools and assining to specific volumes, I've already
>> taken into account that some images may expire before others appended to
> media
>> but i think I've got that part set up right (and I'm using two drives so I
> can
>> write the longer retention fulls to a different drive than the daily and
>> weekly ones which I would expire accordingly).
>>
>> Is this possible or is there maybe another method for assigning retention
>> periods to jobs or schedules?
>
> See "update volume"

Ok maybe I'm just not understanding :)  ... a retention period can be set on a
volume or volumes (or run using update volume). I don't want to recycle the
volumes however, I'd like the jobs to keep appending until the tape/volume is
full. What I'm wondering is if the File and Job Retention setting assigned to
the client can be non client specific but schedule or job specific. If
assigned to a volume it would overwrite the client setting from my
understanding but I'd rather not assign it to a volume or volumes (which may
just not be possible OR maybe there's a better way of doing it using Bacula).

Here's a scinario:

JobDefs {
  Name = "BRT_Daily"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Incremental
  Client = amanda-fd
  FileSet = "Full"
  Schedule = "DailyCycle"
  Storage = DLT7000a
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = Default
  Priority = 10
}

Job {
  Name = "Daily"
  JobDefs = "BRT_Daily"
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/working/daily.bsr"
}

Schedule {
  Name = "DailyCycle"
  Run = Incremental mon-sat at 23:05
}

Client {
  Name = amanda-fd
  Address = amanda
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "password"
  File Retention = 30 days
  Job Retention = 6 months
  AutoPrune = yes
}

Just using these as a template, I'd like to specify that every "Daily" backup
has a file retention of 7 days and a job retention of one month no matter what
client it's backing up for or (for now) what media it's writing too.

On the same policy (or manner of thinking), I'd like to have this client also
be able to do a weekly full but have that job have a file retention of one
month and job retention of 6 months without any restrictions on volume or
media or schedule. I could have the volumes cycle, but all the backups (even
ones with higher retention periods I may have wanted to keep) would be gone.

The plan was to keep lower retention backups on different media than higher
retention ones knowing there would be come crossover and sparatic wasted space
but I could restore from specific points in time a little better: IE recover a
specific revision of a file based on date.

Meh ... maybe I'm just making this more complicated or harder than it has to
be, I'm just going off of experience from other commercial software (Veritas
Netbackup) and how schedules, policies, pools, and types differ and seeing if
there's a way I can emulate it in Bacula.

Either way thanks for the pointer Kern!!

--
Lonny