Hi

We currently only use bacula to backup our windows servers and the
backup servers themselves. For all the *NIX boxes we use dirvish
(www.dirvish.org) which is a rsync based set of perl scripts that sounds
like what you want. It will maintain complete images of the target
servers backup trees over time using the rsync hardlink feature.
Basically you do an initial complete rsync of the target and then
subsequent backups are done referencing the last good backup. If a file
hasn't changed, it adds a hardlink from the previous copy, if it has
changed, do a differential rsync using the previous copy as a reference
to only shift the changes, if it's new, copy over the file, if its
deleted don't put it in this tree.

I would use bacula for everything but I just don't have the room - the
use of hardlinks save lots of space:

Backing up 8 windows servers with bacula with 10 incremental daily's, 5
weekly differential's and 3 full monthly volumes uses 800GB.

With dirvish, I have the last 15 full backups, the last month's 5 Friday
full backups and the last 3 months first of the month Friday full
backups for 73 servers using 2TB

YMMV of course

Cheers

Brenden