Hi,

My name is Ilya Volvovski and I am a software architect for a company
called Cleversafe (www.cleversafe.org <http://www.cleversafe.org/>  and
www.cleversafe.com <http://www.cleversafe.com/> )

I address this discussion group to gauge interest in our proposition
from people who make living by making sure that data is not lost.
Cleversafe mission is to offer a product that would provide unlimited,
secure, scalable, reliable data storage facility. We want to move
storage from home tape devices, CD/DVD drives to Internet.

If you look at our website, you would learn that are patented approach
allows to achieve very high level of reliability with reasonably small
data blowup (2.0 now but our next release would make it configurable:
30% data overhead still would still guarantee high reliability). Data
could be optionally encrypted, compressed and then dispersed into
several locations. Cleversafe Storage Grid is also self-healing: if a
few slices are lost due to hardware problems, they could be recreated by
the grid.

Our software would give means to store data, but we are not backup
experts.  We want the existing backup solutions be used as before but
enabled to store data on Cleversafe Storage Grid. Being an open source
project we first looked at open source solutions and this lead us to
Bacula.

Cleversafe has no expertise in using Bacula. However we were able to
install and we performed a very trivial integration with NO changes to
the existing Bacula codebase. We confirmed that if we configure Bacula
with a file type device, which happen to be our grid, we could use
Bacula to store data on it.

I have several questions to the group:
- how interesting this idea sounds to system administrators and people
who routinely perform backups
- how interesting this idea sounds to software developers who work in
the backup/storage world. Is there potential to change/enhance this
software in order to target grid market
- are there any caveats of using Bacula with file device? As I
understand that it is not mainstream usage; Bacula is primarily geared
towards tape devices.

Regards,
Ilya Volvovski