Luca Ferrari wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 May 2007 Darien Hager's cat, walking on the keyboard, wrote:
>
>> Luca Ferrari wrote:
>>
>>> 08-mag 17:41 backup-sd: User defined maximum volume capacity 4,000,000
>>> exceeded on device "sede_samba_storage" (/backup/sede/samba).
>>>
>> So far, so good. But since you're backing up to plain old files, you
>> cannot create a new file on the disk without creating a new volume. In
>> other words, unless you use an external tool to slice the file up, each
>> file on the SD's disk is one volume. (Now, a job can have multiple
>> volumes, and vice-versa...)
> it's not clear to me what does it mean that all the files will be on a volume
> and how to impose that a volume can have more than one file. Could you please
> explain it better?

Shorthand:
"SD-file": A file on a disk on the Storage Daemon, this file is where
data is backed up to, not from.

Bacula is built around the idea of Volumes. Generally and historically,
a Volume corresponds to one physical tape cartridge. When you are using
SD-file backups, each SD-file in the directory is considered a "virtual
tape".

The key is:
Volume = SD-File = Virtual Tape Cartridge

All of the files *which are being backed up* are part of a job. A job
can span multiple volumes(tapes),  or multiple jobs can be on a single
volume(tape), or both at the same time.

Your system has "Maximum Volume Size" at 4GB. This means that after
/backup/sede/samba has grown past 4GB, it's like a tape cartridge which
has no more space on it. Your system needs another Volume to put the
data onto. However, I'm guessing you did not turn on automatic labeling,
so the system is waiting saying "Uh, I've got more data, but... I need a
new Volume. Where is it?"

You need to enable automatic labeling so that Bacula will make a series
of files, like so:

/backup/sede/samba01
/backup/sede/samba02
/backup/sede/samba03
/backup/sede/samba04
/backup/sede/samba05

... creating a new file as needed, where each of the listed files is one
single Volume. For instructions, see the manual here:

http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

--
Darien Hager
[EMAIL PROTECTED]