Flak Magnet wrote:
> I've been running bacula on solaris since December of '06.  It started out as
> a single-box backup solution, with the dir, sd and fd running on a single
> box.  Since then we've scaled it up to include a second sd and fd on another
> Sun box, the an fd-only on a ubuntu machine, and the fd on a WinXP machine.
>
> I've been using mySQL.  I know how to get a dump of the database out, and how
> to read that database back in.  I intend to use that to "migrate" the
> database to the mySQL server on the new director.  I don't think that will
> cause any problems.  I'm open to being corrected.

MYSQL transfer will probably be fine with mysqldump and mysql import.
However, you should keep volumes (filenames in the case of FILE backup,
  or the tapes themselves) "bound" to their ORIGINAL SD definitions as
migration among SDs is not supported yet (not a feature), and volumes
are internally connected to pools, which MAY or MAY NOT be connected to
particular storage devices.

> With the director moving off of the original sun machine, I'm going to rename
> the sd and fd on that machine.  If I have to do restores, I know that I'll
> have to change the restore-from devices and such.  Currently their named
> bacula-sd and bacula-fd.  I intend to change them to [hostname]-fd/sd.  Are
> there any snafus I might encounter there?

I'd recommend NOT changing daemons names (see above), as they are part
of the bacula database. The names bacula-sd and bacula-fd are internal
to bacula and not connected to the server IP, thus do not NEED to be
changed. Past backups may get confused regarding storage and pools
associations. Or maybe I'm confused about the implication, but in any
case it doesn't sound good.

> Anything else?

Have a nice day !

Michael Lewinger