AL> It might be that the part file in question still is in your temporary
AL> storage directory.

I should have mentioned that I looked there, and it's not there.

AL> Do you have "Write Part After Job" set in the job
AL> definition?

Yep.  (though it's in the JobDefs referral)

>> the disc is not full yet and mounting it shows about 3G in use:
>> /dev/hda               2972194   2972194         0 100% /mnt/cdrom
>> and the missing part was very small:
>> FD Bytes Written:       228,657 (228.6 KB)
>> SD Bytes Written:       231,716 (231.7 KB)

AL> I did experience problems with small part files myself and think that,
AL> for (some) DVD writers, a "session" has to have certain minimum size. No
AL> hard facts, though, that's just what I observed quite a while ago.

huh.  that'd be odd.  It should be easy to test too, cause 2
back-to-back incrementals should hit it.

AL> My workaround (or rather the one I implemented for my customer) was to
AL> set "Write Part after Job" to No for all jobs except the BackupCatalog
AL> one. Like this, All normal jobs would have a good chance to get written
AL> correctly, and only the Catalog backup was in danger of ending up corrupted.

Interesting.  I'll certainly think on that one.

>> 2) what to do about it?  Choices are, I think:
>> 2a) invalidate the whole volume
>> 2b) somehow tell bacula that just that part is missing and to rewrite
>> just that part...

AL> Yes, look for the part file in the spooling directory you set up for the
AL> DVD storage device.

Unfortunately, no go there...

Thanks for the help.  I'll see if I can duplicate the issue...