On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 12:40:52 +0530
"Gaurav Pruthi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have installed bacula but before taking it online to take backups of
> servers, I would like to test the throughput of Bacula. I have to test it
> with storage as File. I am looking for a script using which i could check
> the throughput of Bacula  (Atleast 3-5 GB bacuup/restore) and convince the
> mgmt to implement bacula as network backup system. I shall be grateful if
> anyone provide me the required script.

I'm not much knowledge w.r.t. bacula performance (so take this w/a
grain of salt) but am pretty experienced sysadmin and suspect it would
be influenced by factors such as:

1) backup type, i.e. full, diff, or incremental.  For example, I would
expect full to be fastest because no need for any comparisons of
files.

2) Since need to do sql inserts, etc, on

a) how high zoot a machine you were using for db server duties.

b) whether or not using dedicated database server.

c) the db engine itself, i.e. MySQL vs. PostgreSQL (I've never been fan
of SQLite).

d) and possibly how well indexes are maintained.

3) disk type, i.e. SCSI vs. SATA and level of backup client concurrency

And that is just off top of my head, for starters...  Somethings for
you to think about...

If you want input for the bacula gurus here you may want to detail your
specifics a bit more.

Ken Gunderson
GPG Key -- 9F5179FD

"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in
the room." - Sir Winston Churchill