> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Hello List, Hello Kern,
> >
> > i am addressing a well know issue regarding bacula and it´s restore
> > feature.
> > I have seen a list where this issue is listet as the most wanted
feature
> > it think.
> >
> > My questions:
> > - How long will it take until moved or deleted files will be
reconized ?

> Someone's got to do the work. Looks like someone has been doing
> preliminary work on it as of late, but I don't expect that it will be
in
> Bacula 2.2 (I could be wrong), so it will be awhile.

Maybe this is a pain in the a** for a lot of people here. If noone is
willing to tackle that problem, why don´t we all donate some money and
pay someone to do it?

> > - Is there a workaround ?
>
> Don't do anything but full backups, and you will not have this
problem.
> To my knowledge, you have this problem with incrementals. It is
somewhat
> lessened by making heavy use differentials, and eliminated by doing
> exclusively fulls.
>
> > - Why are GUIs more important than fixing the greatest Bug ever? :)
>
> Because it is not a bug, it is the way things work. Many commercial
> backup softwares have exactly the same problem.

I would never use or even pay such a backup software.

I am planing it to use it in companies, not at home for my desktop.

Imagine your Sitation: The whole server goes down. You have a 10 Days
old full backup and 9 incrementals.

Now you bring the system back up but with inconsitent files and
contents?!

Try to explain that to you boss or the company you work for?!

Once the GUI is done for the "lazy" people, they will find out that
bacula is missing a reliable and professional reason.

Just my 2 cent.

What scares me is that this issue must be more than one year old, and
nobody ever really complained or did something about it.

I do not have the time and knowledge to implement this, but i would be
willing to donate in order to get someone to do it properly.

Regards, Mario