On 2007.06.25. 23:04, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
>> Imagine your Sitation: The whole server goes down. You have a 10 Days
>> old full backup and 9 incrementals.
>>
>> Now you bring the system back up but with inconsitent files and
>> contents?!
>>
>> Try to explain that to you boss or the company you work for?!
>
> Since you seem to be so sure about the subject, I'd like to see you tell
> me which backup software does and does not have this problem. My
> suspicion is that many of the commercial packages have the same problem
> (at least that's what I remember finding out last time I looked into
> this). I can't tell right now from looking at the web, as this really
> isn't mentioned anyplace. How would you find out whether your choice of
> software package has this limitation or not?

tivoli has an ability to keep a specified changed versions of files that
are still on the disk and a specified amount of versions for files that
have been deleted (that is, if you overwrite a file 3 times, only two
latest revisions are kept. if you delete it, only single last revision
is kept. or the other way around).

this also includes the ability to keep particular files for a specified
amount of days. together this allows for a pretty flexible and hdd space
efficient solution.
  Rich