Hi all,

we've been relying on Bacula for quite a while now and are very
satisfied users. However, I just noticed a strangeness with regard to
Job Retention on 1.38.9:

It appears to be obeyed only for our differential backup jobs, _not_ for
the full backups. Specifically, we set common retention periods for the
the client (there's only one in this setup) as:

# Client (File Services) to backup
Client {
  Name = erebor-fd
  Address = localhost
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = secret
  File Retention = 60 days
  Job Retention = 5 years
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}

and then have two backup jobs for that client (each consisting of either
a full or differential backupd, followed by a full backup of the catalog:

Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycle"
  Run = Level=Full         Pool=MonthlyTapePool  1st     sun at 4:05
  Run = Level=Differential Pool=SundayTapePool   2nd-5th sun at 4:05
  Run = Level=Differential Pool=ThursdayTapePool         thu at 4:05
}

# This schedule does the catalog. It starts after the WeeklyCycle
Schedule {
  Name = "WeeklyCycleAfterBackup"
  Run = Level=Full Pool=MonthlyTapePool  1st     sun at 4:10
  Run = Level=Full Pool=SundayTapePool   2nd-5th sun at 4:10
  Run = Level=Full Pool=ThursdayTapePool         thu at 4:10
}

However, when I look at the list of jobs using `list jobs`, only older
Differential jobs (from the Sunday and Thursday pools) are listed, e.g., as

| 7     | DefaultBackup       | 2005-09-08 04:05:02 | B    | D     |
109705   | 4215201717  | T         |
| 8     | BackupCatalog       | 2005-09-08 04:16:54 | B    | F     | 1
      | 309270413   | T         |

starting in September 2005. The earliest full backup (Monthly) backup is

| 279   | DefaultBackup       | 2006-12-03 04:05:04 | B    | F     |
2950669  | 88924511321 | T         |
| 280   | BackupCatalog       | 2006-12-03 10:49:32 | B    | F     | 1
      | 1667026066  | T         |

thus, December 2006. What happened to all of the other Full backups in
the meantime (which were definitely written to the tapes)?

At a glance, it appears that the Job Retention time appeared to ``take''
only for the Differentials, and that the Full backups use the default of
180 days.

Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong here?

Many thanks,
  Andreas Koch