Hi,

I think that's an issue for just about any program that moves files around.
For the same volume of data, the overhead (amount of work) required for
asking the OS to open a file, and afterwards to close it, for the filesystem
to find out the physical addresses of the pieces of that file, etc. adds up
more quickly in the case where there are lots of small files, which means
that that much less time can be used to work on the actual transfer of data.

I don't think there's anything you can do about it. An obvious workaround,
in certain situations, is to group all your files into archives (.tar,
.zip...). Of course, that's a valid solution only if your files don't have
to be accessed by applications, and you or your users don't mind the loss of
comfort that implies when working with these files.

Lucas Cohen