Just an update, I have successfully done a backup of my 'First Storage
Group' Information Store (including the 'Mailbox Store' and 'Public
Folder Store' databases) and then restored the 'Mailbox Store' database
into the 'Recovery Storage Group'.

It is from the 'Recovery Storage Group' that you can do things like copy
back a single mailbox which has been deleted, and (in a roundabout way)
restore single items.

I'll hopefully have an alpha release (eg with an installer etc) ready in
a week or so.

James