Hello,

Monday, September 10, 2007, 2:15:15 AM, Dan Langille wrote:

DL> On 10 Sep 2007 at 1:10, Doytchin Spiridonov wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> thank you that you finally admit there is a bug.
>>

DL> Well, that's certainly one way to get people to help you.

DL> The rest of your post was well natured.  But the above sentence could
DL> have been omitted and you would have come across much more graciously
DL> than you did.

DL> Best wishes.

More than once I've said my English is not good (I actually never have
visited English lessons, so from my standpoint the fact that you can
understand me is a good achievement) and if you find the above
sentence abusive, I'm sorry, I really meant "thank you".

For sure my postings now are a little bit non-polite because:

- after we spent a lot of time testing trying to find a solution and
prove there is a bug, I personally got back sarcasm to send you all of
the hadrware for free (or may be I misunderstood it) and an answer
like "we can't help you". As someone else said in this list
"developers also presumably have an interest in the functionality of
the code base", my opinion was that it is not us who need help in our
efforts to run Bacula at some "bad hardware" but also you, and all of
the other Bacula users who never tried to restore data and would be
badly surprised in an emergency situation that their backed data is
unusable;

- yes open source is licenced free of charge and noone urges us to use
it, but it could be a nice trap. The sentence "use it on your own
risk" most of the time is just a disclaimer but in this specific case
it is very actual. It is like someone declares he will help you, gives
you a hand but then drops you in the gap saying "oops, sorry". I would
add here the second problem - the feature to revive deleted files on
restore, which could be critical when backing up hosting servers (I
can provide a lot of examples), which is mentioned in the
documentation, but I am sure if you start a poll you will find a great
percentage of users who are not aware what exactly this means and how
it would seriously impact their restored data;

- for some services we prefer open source solutions not because they
are free, but because our experience is that problems are fixed
faster, which was not the case in this serious problem.

But I am really thankful because:

- while we are/were sure there is a bug and I guess we found a
temporary workaround (no concurrent jobs) I personally couldn't be
100% sure that is a fact (no problems restoring in that case several
finite number of times doesn't mean at some point in the future the
same problem will not happen even w/o concurrent jobs);

- if the bug is fixed we could start using concurrent jobs now;

- Bacula is the best open source backup program and one of the best
comparing with paid solutions, thanks to its author/s and community
support. If this bug is fixed and a solution to the second problem
mentioned above is developed, it would be the no.1 at least for our
needs (and I guess 99% of other users who require a match between
backed up and restored data).

Regards.