Hello all,

In the Bacula User's Guide I discovered, in Chapter 12.1 (The Client
Resource), that the Maximum Concurrent Jobs default value is 2:

Maximum Concurrent Jobs = <number> where <number> is the maximum number of
> Jobs that should run concurrently. The default is set to 2, but you may
> set it to a larger number. Each contact from the Director (e.g. status
> request, job start request) is considered as a Job, so if you want to be
> able to do a status request in the console  at the same time as a Job is
> running, you will need to set this value greater than 1.

However, in the sample File Daemon configuration file (bacula-fd), a Maximum
Concurrent Jobs value is set to 20. That's an order of magnitude more than
2. Wow that's a big difference!

Here's an example after a fresh configure / make install on my Xserve:

#
> # "Global" File daemon configuration specifications
> #
> FileDaemon {                          # this is me
>   Name = xserve-fd
>   FDport = 9102                  # where we listen for the director
>   WorkingDirectory = /opt/local/var/bacula/working
>   Pid Directory = /opt/local/var/run
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
> }

I am curious, is the documentation outdated and should the default value
really be 20? Is there possibly a typographical error where "2" meant to be
typed as "20"? Did the core Bacula maintainers (Kern, et al?) change their
mind based on real world user experiences from a default of 2 to 20?

Also, since I am coming up the learning curve with Bacula, I probably don't
understand enough yet about the entirety of Bacula and how the daemons
interoperate,  but it seems a little bit strange that the "Client Resource"
which is also synonymous with the File Daemon has two different default
values for Maximum Concurrent Jobs based on context (in the Bacula Director
configuration context the Maximum Concurrent Jobs default value for the
Client resource is 1 but in the Bacula File Daemon configuration context the
Client's Maximum Concurrent Jobs default value is 2 (or maybe now its 20)?).

I wonder if there might be a better way to more clearly articulate the
abstract differences with respect to the context of the configuration files
for the daemons? I'd be happy to contribute some documentation to this
effect if the Bacula community would find it helpful especially for bringing
new members of the community up the learning curve somewhat faster.

Thank you for any clarification.

-H