BackupPC doesn't, as far as I know, do bare metal restores.  It's pretty
much just for backing data, and on Windows boxes, backing unlocked (or
closed) data files.  You can install cygwin on Windows and use rsync
through that....doesn't have to be SMB to back Windows.

As far as I can tell, Bacula does a lot more than BackupPC does, but
what BackupPC does, it does well.  And when considering disk-to-disk
backups, "pooling" or "deduplication" is almost a must unless you're
backing up very specific data that you know for the most part won't be
duplicated.  Disk space is hard-limited, unlike tape space which is just
sanity-limited.  If I all of a sudden need to back up another 500 GB of
data with a tape backup, I can run out and purchase a couple LTO4
tapes.  If I want to back that up to disk, without pooling, I need to
add 1 TB to 1.5 TB of disk space, depending on rotation...not trivial if
you haven't already planned for it in your chassis, SAN, etc.

Anyway, if Bacula were to put some time in on deduplication (there's a
follow up post on the same subject with what might need to happen), it
would put it in the up and coming market of d2d2t.

Chris

Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:

>>> Nope.
>>>
>>> I'm not aware of any open source backup software that does that. Amanda
>>> doesn't do it either. It's non-trivial and has been discussed on the
>>> Bacula list a couple of times. Not sure what the key word would be to
>>> search for it.
>>>

>> BackupPC does it:
>> http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> But their architecture was designed from the ground up to support it.
>>

> Ok, I guess there is an open source solution that does deduplication.
>
> However, if you check out their site and their FAQ entry on
> "limitations" (http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/limitations.html), I
> don't think I would ever try to rely on them. They just aren't ready for
> prime time yet. They only backup a Windows PC through samba, cannot get
> acl's, cannot get locked files, and cannot be used to recover. You have
> to recover the PC with some other tool and then recover user files with
> BackupPC. Their FAQ presumes that linux backups with tar ought to be
> recoverable, but "I haven't tried it." Excuse me? It's a mantra for
> users of backup software to always try a recovery to prove to themselves
> that their backup software is working. And yet here we have the home
> site of the software, in the FAQ, saying "I haven't tried it."
>
> They don't do tapes, and, in spite of deduplication (which they call
> pooling), they can't deal with deletions or moving files from one
> directory to another. So their "clever pooling scheme" doesn't solve
> enough of the issues to make their software a compelling alternative, or
> even a possible alternative, except for maybe a home user who only wants
> personal files backed up to another disk drive.
>
> Sorry for the rant. It's just that I'd never taken a look through their
> web site before. I've frequently seen comments on linuxquestions.org
> offering BackupPC as a solution to people who ask about backing up. I
> just hadn't paid much attention one way or the other. I'm sure there's a
> place for them, but it's not in the enterprise for the foreseeable future.
>

> ---------------
>
> Chris Hoogendyk
>
> -
>    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
>   c/ /'_ --- Biology & Geology Departments
>  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center
> ~~~~~~~~~~ - University of Massachusetts, Amherst
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Christopher Derr . IT Manager
Dept of Land, Air, & Water Resources (LAWR)
University of California, Davis
O: 530-752-2148 . E: [EMAIL PROTECTED]