> It is a little hard to answer this email since I don't remember the
> details of
> each email thread.  It would help in the future to leave a bit
additional
> info, like who sent the last message.

I thought your threaded mail reader with the fancy colors did this for
you...8-)?

> On Tuesday 09 October 2007 16:10, David Boyes wrote:

Not me. That was Kenny Dail.

> In the first baby step, there is probably no need for a database
change.
> However, the key to understanding the difficulties, and something that
is
> not
> going to change is that Bacula is Job based, not file based.

Since you're writing the code, you get to implement it any way you want.
I think you're coming to the point of where that assertion may need to
change, but not my call. You got my input and ideas. Go forth and have
fun.

> IMO inetd is a bad way to go. It will unnecessarily consume an extra
port,
> and
> is a solution that worked well many years ago on small memory systems.
Now
> that Microsoft has made 2GB the minimum working RAM for Vista, there
is no
> disadvantage of having daemons or more code in the SD (in a DSO if
> necessary
> at some point).  Doing it with a continuously running daemon avoids
> problems
> of security, additional ports, the expense of initialization (reading
the
> conf file, ...), and persistence (i.e. knowing what the current state
of
> everything is).

Except that it's not a good approach for shared-resource systems, like
the coming spate of virtual machine-based deployments, eg z/VM and
VMware where increased memory footprint in one virtual machine impacts
the behavior of other images on the same box. A permanently larger
working set size for a feature that isn't needed for your
commonly-referenced simple case seems like a not-so-hot idea in the long
term.

Again, you're writing it, but that's how I'd evaluate it.