Hi,

12.10.2007 14:48,, Andy Brown wrote::
> Hi there,
> Firstly, thank you for getting back to me, and with such speed.

You were lucky :-)

> Arno Lehmann wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>>    MaximumPartSize = 5000M;
>>
>> That directive takes no effect, it's only used for DVD writing.
> Ah!
>

>> The above looks good, provided the retention times and set volume
>> sizes fit, i.e. you have enough volumes available to hold the data of
>> a complete cycle of backups.
>>
>> In the case of the Inc-Pool, for example, you only allow 30 GB of data
>> to be stored. Purge oldest volume is dangerous in that it could delete
>> incrementals from between the last differential or full backup, and
>> the currently running job, which would make your backups more or less
>> worthless. You should be absolutely sure the 20 GB remaining after a
>> volume is purged are sufficient. See the last two paragraphs in the
>> manual description of this option...
>
> Ah that is a very good point, thank you for pointing that out, I'll
> modify that to prevent it causing a purge on valid data.

Good move, IMO.

>> Does the output of the 'show pool=Inc-Pool' bconsole command
>> correspond to what you set up? Of course, similar for the other pools.
>
> It appears to, I'm going to start making modification so will have to
> force it to re-read these settings.

Note that a DIR restart reloads the defaults from the configuration
file; otherwise, you need to use the reload and update commands.

>> What is the state of your volumes? If you think a certain volume
>> should be recycled, you can check its settings with 'llist
>> volume=<name>' in bconsole.
>
> Perhaps in trying to fix things I have caused a problem, as an example
> of one of the volumes:
>
> *llist volume=Full-0002
>           MediaId: 3
>        VolumeName: Full-0002
>              Slot: 0
>            PoolId: 1
>         MediaType: File
>      FirstWritten: 2007-09-11 02:46:45
>       LastWritten: 2007-09-11 06:07:39
>         LabelDate: 2007-09-11 02:46:45
>           VolJobs: 3
>          VolFiles: 3
>         VolBlocks: 266,306
>         VolMounts: 3
>          VolBytes: 17,179,866,421
>         VolErrors: 0
>         VolWrites: 266,307
>  VolCapacityBytes: 0
>         VolStatus: Purged
>           Enabled: 1
>           Recycle: 1
>      VolRetention: 2,592,000
>    VolUseDuration: 0
>        MaxVolJobs: 0
>       MaxVolFiles: 0
>       MaxVolBytes: 17,179,869,184
>         InChanger: 0
>           EndFile: 3
>          EndBlock: 4,294,964,532
>          VolParts: 0
>         LabelType: 0
>         StorageId: 1
>          DeviceId: 0
>        LocationId: 0
>      RecycleCount: 0
>      InitialWrite: 0000-00-00 00:00:00
>     ScratchPoolId: 0
>     RecyclePoolId: 0
>           Comment: NULL
>

> Which shows the volume as purged but yet its still consuming disk space,
> is this normal? Is there a way of telling it to null/zero the file?

Yes, this is normal, and no, there's no such ability built into Bacula.

Bacula handles all volumes like tapes - i.e. only when writing data to
it after recycling, it starts at the beginning. As there is no need
and no way to delete a tape, Bacula also doesn't delete / truncate
file volumes.

>> In my opinion, with "Purge Oldest Volume" you're sure to shoot
>> yourself in the foot one day. Relying on regular retention is much
>> more useful in most cases - if nothing more, it forces you to balance
>> the retention times, backup frequency, and available space to really
>> fit your needs.
>
> Thanks for your input, I clearly have misunderstood how the whole
> storage system/disk allocation is used with Bacula. Back to starting
> again I feel and re-reading manuals!

Have fun - again :-)

In my experience, it's usually best to start with a simple setup -
limited volume size or use duration, automatic labeling and volume
creation, and limit the number of volumes in the pools to something
that will fit into your storage space.

As time goes by, you'll find which pools need more volumes, and which
can use less volumes than you initially thought. Then it's time to
adapt the configuration.

After one complete cycle of backups, you can add some reasonable extra
volumes to each pool, and Bacula typically can run for a while without
needing much management.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann