Hi,

Got my new AIT5 tape drive delivered today, did a firmware upgrade of the
autochanger and installed it alongside with the old AIT3 one. All btape tests
on the new drive completed with flying colors. Now I need advice on how to
configure Bacula for two drives which use different (and incompatible) types
of media in the same autochanger. Documentation is not very clear about it
and apparently no one actually tested such setup but it seems to be possible.

Documentation states: "The MediaType specified in the Director's Storage
resource,  must correspond to the Media Type specified in the Device
resource of the Storage daemon configuration file". But what if I have two
Devices configured in SD file with different MediaTypes? Do I need a second
Storage resource in DIR config file pointing to the same Autochanger resource
in SD config, but with the different MediaType? Will it work this way?

Any example configs (DIR/SD) would be greatly appreciated!

In fact, I am curious of why such kind of setup would be so rare. I mean, our
Qualstar tape changer is built as a tank, has lots of space for expansion,
and obviously would last for many decades easily, subject to regular upgrades
during its lifespan. Tape drives, on the contrary, double the speed and
capacities every couple years. What do you do with your old drives, just dump
them? My AIT3 drive is 4 years old but yet to produce a single error, don't
really want to trough it away...

Thanks,
Ivan

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983
and properly dispose of this information.