Hi,

19.11.2007 23:16,, Chris Hoogendyk wrote::

> Flak Magnet wrote:
>> http://www.zmanda.com/ubuntu-backup.html
>>
>> >From the press release:
>>
>> "Zmanda™, the leader in open source backup and recovery software, today
>> announced that its Amanda Enterprise Edition now supports Ubuntu and is the
>> first enterprise backup software available for this popular distribution of
>> the open source Linux operating system."
>>
>> I wish Zmanda and the Amanda project best of luck, but I don't appreciate
>> them
>> spreading inaccurate information.
>

> Maybe they are talking about enterprise meaning with 24/7 technical
> support contracts, which are required in order to fly in many large
> enterprises.

I rather suspect they're talking about 'you've got to pay to get the
software you need, even though the base package is OSS' ;-)

> Isn't Kern working on something like that? Seems like it's been a little
> while since I've heard anything.

Patience, please... well, I was (kind of) allowed to announce this
recently, so I feel free to state that such a company is being founded
currently. No fixed dates yet, though.

During the next few months, commercial support (even better than what
I can offer ;-) will be offered.

> I think Zmanda load balances between India and California, so it's
> pretty easy to hit the 24 hours without anyone having to do a midnight
> shift.

Well, more important is to have the qualifications you need at the
help desk. As I don't have any experience with Zmandas service, I can
only ask if someone has any experience with them?

Arno

> ---------------
>
> Chris Hoogendyk
>
> -
>    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
>   c/ /'_ --- Biology & Geology Departments
>  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center
> ~~~~~~~~~~ - University of Massachusetts, Amherst
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
www.its-lehmann.de