Hello all,

First of all please excuse for my english, i'm hungarian.

I have just installed Bacula 2.2.6 from source to a Slackware 12 system.
I successfully configured the main program, the two web interfaces and
after all installed the win32 exe for a target computer. I configured
everything for a quick test, and it's worked fine. The Director can
connect to the FileDaemon over the network and it saved the test
directory and also I can restore the files.

Next, I tried to set up the "final config" for the client so I set the
directories and files, and wanted to take a test before the finish (and
before I set up the schedule dates and times).

After I started the FULL BACKUP from the bconsole the client started to
work (seeked the floppy drive??? --- in the config i successfully set up
the directories with path information like "c:/backup_this", and no link
for floppy --- i think it was the VSS), the tray icon of the client
changed to yellow and the hint for it was something like "the last job
has warnings". Without any other detailed error messages I decided to
run the client with the debug option (bacula-fd.exe -d 100 >out), and
started the job from the bconsole (from the slackware). After it
"finished" (so did nothing) I opened the log file (bacula-fd.trace i
think) and saw that the problem is around the special characters on my
filesystem. I'm using windows xp (pro sp2) hungarian version with
filesystem NTFS, and I have directories and files with special
characters like
       "Képek"   (which means Pictures).
Hungarian special characters (accents) is like "á Á é É ő Ő" etc.
(Sorry if your system can't display it...)

In the trace log the special characters are O.K. (I see that Bacula
Director send it right, and the VSS try to open it --- but can't).

What I don't know: is it Bacula (Win32 Client) problem, VSS / WinXP
problem or a Slackware linux - Utf8 problem?

I tried without VSS (Enable VSS = off) --> same problem.
Tried without any extra options (signature, compression, etc) --> same
problem.

I think I have successfully set up my linux system to UTF8 (locale shows
en_EN.UTF-8 for every environment variable).

Oh and I did a little test. Opened my bacula-fd (trace) log file on my
winxp client and copied the directory name (with accents) to the
clipboard, then inserted it to the winxp command line. The characters
was O.K., so I think the Director send the characters to the Client in
the right form, without any changes or conversion. The configuration
files are saved in utf8.

If I try to backup a directory with no special characters that's okay
anytime, after I change it back to the accented name then the error occurs.

And this is the case with the special filenames, too:
I created a directory named "testbackup" on my windows machine. Copied
two files in it:
    - a simple, english named one like "test_file.txt"
    - a hungarian named one like "ékezetes_fájl.txt"

The backup completed (!!!) but when I listed the saved files in the
bconsole, I saw the hungarian named file with wrong characters! (like
when you have no utf8 enabled in your browser and open an unicode-only
page...)

Bacula 2.2.6
Director on Slackware 12 linux (filesystem ext3, utf8 configured /i think/)
FileDaemon on Windows XP Pro SP2 (filesystem ntfs, hungarian version)
Config O.K.
Test O.K.
Problem with special (hungarian) characters like accents
I think the director successfully send the special characters to the client.

What should I do now?

Thanks for your help and advices,
    Ferenc Balogh