Oops hello to everyone and especially Piero Giobbi, I must be dreaming or
having a temporary lapse of amnesia. Of course the Storage Daemon has an
Archive Device directive (it has been a while since I looked at Bacula
configuration files so I forgot about it).

So, I just added "/tmp" to the Archive Device directive in the Storage
Daemon configuration file, and great news --> Bacula 2.2.8 daemons
(Director, Storage, File) are all running on Leopard Server 10.5.1

Even though you have MySQL running on your Leopard system, please let me
know if I can provide some tips / suggestions for how to get Bacula
2.2.8running on your system. Glancing at your output from the error
you
encountered, it looks to be for sure some problem related to when you ran
./configure (when specifying the configuration arguments required for
building against MySQL). Take a look at libsql in your make output -- I bet
you'll find some errors there. For example, I don't have MySQL or sqlite on
my system, so I got these complaints when running make:

Making libsql.a ...
> /usr/bin/ar rc  libsql.a mysql.o bdb.o bdb_create.o bdb_get.o bdb_update.o
> bdb_delete.o bdb_find.o bdb_list.o sql.o sql_cmds.o sql_create.o
> sql_delete.o sql_find.o sql_get.o sql_list.o sql_update.o sqlite.o
> postgresql.o
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(mysql.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_create.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_get.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_update.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_delete.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_find.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_list.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(sqlite.o) has no symbols
> ranlib libsql.a
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(mysql.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_create.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_get.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_update.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_delete.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_find.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(bdb_list.o) has no symbols
> ranlib: file: libsql.a(sqlite.o) has no symbols
> ==== Make of cats is good ====

When I made Bacula 2.2.3 on Tiger Server 10.4.10 against PostgreSQL 8.1.9, I
didn't have these ranlib "no symbols" results. So something has changed.

By the way, I have just about all of my dependencies for Bacula installed as
MacPorts. Do you use MacPorts for installing MySQL?

Cheers,

Hydro