[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> tomasz dereszynski wrote:
>>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>> Yes and no ;-)
>>>
>>> The if the status of the backup was "with warnings" then I would expect
>>> this to be reflected in the subject of the e-mail.
>>>
>>> One real-life example...
>>>
>>> We have a job to backup up the Bacula database. The
>>> 'make_catalog_backup' script is executed at the start and
>>> 'delete_catalog_backup' at the end, and the job is defined to back up
>>> only *one* file - the dumped Bacula SQL database text file.
>>>
>>> However at some point the dumped database became to large for the
>>> file-system and the 'make_catalog_backup' and 'delete_catalog_backup'
>>> script were modified to dump the database to a different file-system.
>>>
>>> For some time this job had failed completely because it could no longer
>>> find the file to back up! Our Bacula database backups were failing and
>>> we didn't know!
>>>
>>> The subject of the job e-mail told us "Backup OK" which was taken to
>>> mean just that - that the backup was OK.
>>> However the actual backup status in the contents of the e-mail was "with
>>> warnings". If the subject reflected the same state as the log then
>>> someone would have realised the first night!
>>>
>>> I find the fact that the subject differs from the actual status illogical.
>>>
>> bacula do not track or care about scripts running as before_backup
>> thingy if they are successful or not.
>>
>> bacula care about files to backup
>>
>> if 'external' script for some reason failed i does not mean it is
>> important for bacula.
>>
>> i do understand where you coming from but i still think as STATUS OK is
>>  valid.
>>
>> and it this terms i will say as job didnt fail there was just nothing to
>> backup cos 'make' script was broken. or it was still the same dump file.
>>
>> bacula done its job.
>>
>> its called human factor isnt it?
> Hi again Thomasz,
> You misunderstand again :-p The script wasn't broken.
> The job definition became incorrect. The job is configured to backup
> only one file - the dumped Bacula SQL database text file. However
> because this file changed location the job failed for some time. Because
> the e-mail subject didn't report "with warnings" no-one noticed for some
> time!
> As you say, Bacula cares about files to back up. If any files cause
> warnings then why wouldn't Bacula show this in the subject with "Backup
> OK -- with warnings" when the status in the log is also "Backup OK --
> with warnings"?
> The user can still choose to ignore the e-mail the same whether the
> subject is "Backup OK" or "Backup OK -- with warnings".
>
> I think my real-life example shows how important is it to reflect there
> were warnings in the subject line, and the confusion caused when the two
> statuses differ!
>
> Justin

Justin,
i have to admit as you are right.
i misunderstood from beginning.

cos now i understand as only one thing you request it info in subject
'with warnings'.

i do apologise for misunderstanding.

it make kind of sense ;-)

thats why checking logs at time to time make sense too. ;-)

all the best

- --
bEsT rEgArDs            |       "Confidence is what you have before you
tomasz dereszynski      |       understand the problem." -- Woody Allen

Spes confisa Deo        |       "In theory, theory and practice are much
numquam confusa recedit |       the same. In practice they are very