Frank> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>> If you do it by reinstalling the OS from normal distro media, then you can
>>> also reinstall Bacula from rpms on a CD.
>>
>> As mentioned above, the binaries are not necessarily the most critical part
>> unless perhaps you have applied a number of critical patches.  The most
>> important parts are your Director's conf file, your catalog, and shortly any
>> special plugins, but as time goes by, there are more and more little pieces
>> that are important.  By saving everything in one wack, you are sure you did
>> not miss anything.

Frank> Perhaps a reasonable compromise might be to ensure that, as
Frank> part of the packaging process, a "bootstrap" job is created?
Frank> For example, this might be as simple as a separate config file
Frank> (call it "bootstrap.inc", for example), containing just a
Frank> fileset definition.  The default director config could then
Frank> ship with a pre-canned job that includes that file for the
Frank> fileset definition.  As other files are added to the list of
Frank> what's required to bootstrap, the package maintainer just has
Frank> to add the appropriate directories and files to the
Frank> bootstrap.inc file.

Frank> That way, the admin can simply use the bootstrap job, and know
Frank> that the installation package will ensure it's always backing
Frank> up the correct set up files without keeping them in one
Frank> FHS-unfriendly directory.

Hear hear!  I think this is a great compromise.

John