> Hello Scott,
>
> I've copied the bacula-users list because some people may not be aware of the
> problems they are getting themselves into using *standard* packages to
> install Bacula.
>
> I *strongly* recommend that we completely reconsider the package directories
> that we use.  The current way of installing Bacula by packages is *very* far
> from optimal.  Let me explain ...
>
> There are standards such as FHS, and these are good and useful for most
> programs, but they really do a big disservice to Bacula users when we are
> dealing with recovery.  If you spread the Bacula installation all around your
> computer filesystem as most packages do and as the standards specify, and
> your system is a server and the server goes down (loses the harddisk), you
> will find it next to impossible to restore that server -- very few people
> think about this.  What I am saying here applies to a Bacula server
> (Director, SD) and not clients.
>
> A much better scheme for installing Bacula on a server is outlined and
> recommended in the manual, and that is to install *everything* (except
> perhaps the man pages) either in a single directory or under a single unique
> directory.  This allows the smart sys admins to backup a single directory
> along with their nightly catalog backup, and thus have in hand a single bsr
> file that will recover not only their catalog, but all their configuration
> files (critical for the Director, and important for the SD) as well as all
> the Bacula binaries, which in the future will include plugins required for
> restore.

Something I don't understand about this approach -- how do you restore this
single directory before you have restored a working Bacula installation that
can read the bsr?

If you do it using a recovery disk, then you'll need to put all the critical
files on that disk anyway.  You can also include the Bacula rpms on the
recovery disk, to allow them to be reinstalled on the server or on a new
server.  The plugins should also be installed from rpms.

If you do it by reinstalling the OS from normal distro media, then you can
also reinstall Bacula from rpms on a CD.

__Martin