Kern Sibbald wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2009 16:31:45 Robert Hartzell wrote:
>> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>> Recently I tried loading OpenSolaris in a VM, and I discovered that they
>>> somehow have remained frozen in time in 1998 and had not significantly
>>> improved their user interface -- a big disappointment for me.  I ended up
>>> with a default system that had a Java user interface and a /home/kern
>>> that was read-only (can you imagine that by default your home directory
>>> is read-only?).  I finally gave up.
>> What do you mean by "Java user interface"? Opensolaris is currently
>> using Gnome Desktop version 2.28.0
>
> That surprised me too.  It was a full Java user interface, and all I did was
> about 6 months ago install an OpenSolaris.  It is possible that they gave me
> the choice between two user interfaces and I made the bad choice.

"Java Desktop" is what Sun is calling their Gnome-based desktop, afaik.
 They do offer two interface choices out of the box: the Gnome "Java
Desktop", or CDE.  Much though I detest Gnome, it's the more usable of
the two.

  ala...@caerllewys.net   ala...@metrocast.net   p...@co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.