On 11/18/10 05:56, Dermot Beirne wrote:
> Hi,
> There is a big difference in the size of individual jobs, they range
> from maybe 30Gb to 300Gb.  No individual job would be multi terabyte.
> The number of clients combined would be over 1 TB for a given day,
> rather than an individual job.  I used 5Gb as it was a suggested size
> in the bacula documentation.

5GB is a good starting size for fixed-size volumes for a small
installation, but one size need not fit all.  It's undoubtedly not an
appropriate choice for a site with a backup volume measured in terabytes
per day.  With that kind of volume of data to back up and that much
evident disk space available to do it with, if I wanted to limit volume
sizes I think I might set my volume size limit at 100GB, or even larger.

In actual fact, although my total full-backup set is under a terabyte, I
don't actually limit the size of my disk volumes at all; I instead use
Volume Write Duration to limit any given volume to hold only a single
day's jobs.  Remember that none of the examples in the documentation is
set in stone.  Use them as a starting point, sure, but apply logic and
decide what's reasonable in your case.  Any volume size limit that
forces you to allocate several hundred volumes for a single day of
incremental backups is probably not appropriate for *your* installation,
and may be costing you significant time in sheer overhead.  If you're
getting any kind of sane transfer rate at all for a dataset of that
size, Bacula must be having to create new volumes and switch volumes
every few seconds.

  ala...@caerllewys.net   ala...@metrocast.net   p...@co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.