Hi Kern,

On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Kern Sibbald <k...@sibbald.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
>
> This sounds like an interesting problem, and yet another incompatibility or
> complication thrown in by Microsoft.  I am aware of their new deduplication
> feature (the press seems pretty unenthusiastic about it), but if it
> requires
> changes to backup programs, Bacula including the Bacula Enterprise one
> for sale will be totally ignorant of these changes, so please don't spend
> your
> money for nothing (though it is a very small price).
>
> Can you explain to me why the size of the files are listed as 0 bytes?  Any
> reasonable underlying OS deduplication system should be totally transparent
> to application programs or service programs such as Bacula, so I don't see
> why the sizes would be zero.  It sounds like Microsoft requires the
> application
> to do something special to have the files rehydrated -- if so, it is one
> of their
> worst farces since Vista.

So, an update for everyone.
This is definitely caused by deduplication. I have two Windows 2012 servers
in a DFS cluster and deduplication was turned on on both of them.
Couple of days after I posted this, on one of the servers I turned off
deduplication (since it really has enough disk and I don't actually need
deduplication there).

After turning off deduplication nothing really happens initially on the
server (the old files are still deduplicated) so I had to run a job to do
that:

Start-DedupJob -Verbose -Type Unoptimization -Volume D:

After couple of hours the system deduplicates all files.

I started Bacula again and the backup worked flawlessly. So my conclusion
is that it definitely doesn't support deduplication in Windows 2012.
I read some articles about it and I would say that you definitely need to
do something special with the files, besides VSS.
I presume that the current Bacula client on Windows does not do it -- and
from some reading it appears that other backup solutions (commercial
products) have similar issues.

At the moment I'm running backup from one DFS node which has the files
deduplicated and everything works ok. The other node is not backed up.

Cheers,

Bojan