Hi Sean

On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Sean Cardus <s...@zebra.co.uk> wrote:

> From: Bojan Zdrnja (SANS ISC) [mailto:bojan....@gmail.com]
> >
> >Thanks for taking the time to check this.
> >
> >As I said, it's all working for me now OK after I deduplicated one
> server, the backups are flowing nicely.
> >I'll keep an eye on the development for this; it might be good to post a
> note somewhere so other potential
> >users with Windows 2012 are aware of this.
>
> I wonder if you've found a bug in the implementation somewhere?  According
> to the MS documentation, a backup application that doesn't use the de-dupe
> API should see the files as normal non-optimised files...
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831600.aspx
>
> "In non-optimized backup and restore, the backup application does not use
> the Data Deduplication backup and restore API. Instead, the backup
> application opens the files and copies them without specifying the reparse
> point flag.
>
> The optimized files are coped to the backup volume as normal files, not as
> optimized files. The conversion from optimized files to normal files is
> performed transparently in memory by Data Deduplication when the backup
> application copies the files. Restoring from such a backup store is a
> normal file-copy operation.
>
> The size of the data in a non-optimized backup is normally much larger
> than the original optimized volume because of the space savings that is
> provided by deduplication. A full volume restore from a non-optimized
> backup will usually not fit on the original or an equivalently sized
> volume."

I saw that too and thought that it should work normally - but it doesn't.
The server I tested this on (our file server) is a fully updated Windows
2012 server.

After turning off deduplication and actually deduplicating the files (as I
wrote in a previous e-mail), backups started working without any issues.

Whether it's a bug in Windows 2012 or a problem for Bacula's Windows client
I don't know ...

Cheers,

Bojan