On Nov 15, 2014, at 4:16 PM, Will Twomey <term...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey John,
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> That hdparm was run during the despooling process which is likely impacting
> those numbers.  (Although I would argue that 125MB/sec should be more than
> enough to despool a 45MB file! :))
>
> This does seem to be a mysql issue, as switching to postgres has resolved
> this. Oddly enough, running myqltuner.pl <http://myqltuner.pl/> didn't show
> any cause for concern.
>
> Thanks again for the prompt response

I think you’ll be much happier with PostgreSQL in the long term.

One of my tuning expeditions, for future reference:
https://plus.google.com/106386350930626759085/posts/hhKemT3UQE7
<https://plus.google.com/106386350930626759085/posts/hhKemT3UQE7>

disclosure: I wrote the PostgreSQL backend for Bacula.

—
Dan Langille
http://langille <http://langille/>.org/