On Wed, 02, Dec, 2015 at 03:04:07PM +0000, Alan Brown spoke thus..
> On 02/12/15 12:14, Paul Elliott wrote:
> >>      Maximum block size = 2M
> >Have you experienced any issues with that block size?
> Only when the drives/tapes are dirty and then you get excess errors on all
> block sizes anyway.
> Because entire blocks are rewritten if there is an error, "tape waste" goes
> up, but even with small blocks I've seen 75% of a tape lost to rewrites.
> You do need to watch those stats and react quickly if they're climbing -
> where react quickly == put a cleaning tape in the drive asap.

How are you currently monitoring the error counts? I've not found a
useful solution on Linux but maybe I'm missing something!

> Unfortunately Bacula does not lend itself well to such interventions.

Agreed. We had to turn off auto cleaning on our tape library as it would
conflict with bacula's operations which is a shame. If we could find a
way to query the drive to see if it requires a cleaning then it should
be possible for us to load a cleaning tape using a pre-job script.
> >What's the advantage of the maximum job spool size setting?

> These are tunables.
<snip>
> I've also got a run-before script which tests spool space and holds the job
> if it's over 70% (sleep on failure, then loop and test again). We get better
> overall throughput this way than by letting jobs fight over the spool.

That's an interesting way of dealing with concurrency issues. Neat.

Thanks, Paul.

--
Paul Elliott, UNIX Systems Administrator
York Neuroimaging Centre (YNiC), University of York