On 10/13/2016 11:38 PM, Thing wrote:
Hi,

I am just finishing building the Gluster cluster on 3 x Dell 990s running centos7 Gluster 3.8.4. The bacula server will be a 4th Dell 990 with a 5TB USB3 disk out the back. It has no OS on it yet but as I'd like to run FreeIPA 4.0 on it my preference would be Centos 7 but I can virtualise that function instead if Debian or Ubuntu would be better for Bacula.

ie the ultimate reason for the gluster cluster is to back 3x VM hosts, I dont have that hardware yet though.

I use a simpler setup. VMs run on a pacemaker/corosync cluster and use native filesystems on DRBD disks in active/passive mode. It is kept simple on purpose, as a VM restart in the event of a node failure is "good enough" availability for my purposes and active/passive mode alleviates much of the split-brain worries. That said, I have found that it is preferable to install bacula-fd on the VMs themselves and backup the VMs, rather than backing up the disk images on the host. This allows restoring an accidentally deleted/corrupted file directly to the VM without having to restore an entire disk image. This does require more resources for the Bacula catalog db, but is far more useful. I have had to restore a few files several times, whereas I have never (thankfully) had a catastrophic loss requiring a full disaster recovery.

On 14 October 2016 at 00:54, Josh Fisher <jfis...@pvct.com <mailto:jfis...@pvct.com>> wrote:

    On 10/12/2016 11:15 PM, Thing wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Has anyone done this?  I have a small 3 node 1TB gluster setup I'd
    > like to make up to an external USB3 disk using bacula so I can take
    > the disk offsite.   What I dont want to do however is impact the
    > gluster performance if I can so I am wondering how best to get the
    > data off and onto the external USB3 disk.
    >
    > Can I do this directly?  ie have a fd on one gluster node? it seems
    > awfully hard to find anyone how has done this and if there would be
    > problems.

    Yes. You can mount the gluster on the host running bacula-sd,
    (where the
    USB3 drive is attached), and backup directly.

    > Or alternatively, I am wondering maybe stream the data off
    gluster to
    > a "new' disk in the bacula server via nfs with rsync and then have
    > bacula back that "new" disk up to the external USB3 disk?

    Either way, the entire gluster, of necessity, must be read, so
    performance will be impacted. The pre-copy is not necessary.
    Bacula has
    built-in spooling to disk that can be enabled. The spooling
    essentially
    does the same stream-to-disk, but via Bacula's client-server
    socket i/o,
    rather than NFS. Whether or not spooling would be helpful is hard to
    say. It depends on many things, including network throughput, USB3
    drive
    sequential write performance, etc.