> On Sep 7, 2017, at 11:45 PM, Phil Stracchino <ph...@caerllewys.net> wrote:
>
> On 09/07/17 22:04, Dan Langille wrote:
>> I have recently moved to one Storage device per pool.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> So each pool is on a different ZFS dataset.
>

> I'm curious.  What do you see as the advantage of this layout?

Background: I'm using ZFS on FreeBSD.  I like keeping application specific data
in its own ZFS dataset. It allows for an easy snapshot and backup solution.

Storage space was the original motivation. One zpool was at 80%,
the other is now at about 44%. I wanted to move some data from one zpool
to another.

When moving to another pool, the mount point changes, which meant creating
a new Storage device pointing at that mount point.

After moving the first Pool I figured: well, if it's this easy, why not do it
for each Bacula Pool?

Back to your question: A similar question was asked on Google+:

    https://plus.google.com/+DanLangille/posts/K2zfNo1ii22
<https://plus.google.com/+DanLangille/posts/K2zfNo1ii22>

ZFS can certainly and easily handle many files in the same directory. That
wasn't
a basis for change.

My answer from there (with slight edits) appears below:

###

If the Pool is no longer required, it is easy to delete. Dividing data up this
way
it's always a good idea, because of the flexibility for future manipulation it
provides.

If these were all on separate devices, you'd get better concurrent throughput.

Full backups are usually bigger, incremental backups are usually smaller, so
you
could just recordsize accordingly.

If you assigned each client to a different pool, deleting their backups when the
client leaves is now a simple matter of deleting the appropriate ZFS datasets.

If you want to move a pool to a different bacula-sd, you move that data set.

###

The above was typed very early in my day and I wasn't quite awake.

Perhaps the highlights are:

- keep like data in like datasets
- more datasets gives more flexibility
- because I can (I was at vBSDCon and had the time to do this)

Ideas? Suggestions?

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
d...@langille.org