On 10/08/17 23:41, Gi Dot wrote:
> Ah, I didn't think of that. Make sense. The 7 clients are from 7
> districts across the state. Currently each client backs up to a tape
> locally. Recently a request was made to make another copy of backup to
> be sent to a NAS at the administrative district. My first thought was
> just to treat it as a secondary storage for bacula which I've done
> before, but with a single director.

Ah, I understand more about why it's done that way now.

It would probably perform poorly, but ...  is it possible to give each
Director its OWN storage daemon on the FreeNAS, all running on different
ports?

> In an event that one of the server goes down, it takes the records of
> its backups with it <-- Isn't this is the case even in a normal setup?
> Unless you have a backup of the bacula catalog resides somewhere else,
> then you wouldn't need to bscan the backup media for restoration.

There are multiple ways around that.  But at the first level, if you
have a separate master Director, and it goes down, none of the client
servers are down, so the urgency of getting the master back up is less.
And if one of the client servers goes down, then the master is still
online and can begin restores immediately.

I have a single Director, but my Catalog database is on a three-node
synchronous cluster.  If my master Director were to go down, I have two
other working nodes in the cluster, and I could fairly quickly install a
substitute Director on another host to restore it.

Of course if something takes down the client servers AND the master
director, then you're still looking at bscans before you can get
anything back up.  If all three nodes of my cluster were down, I would
have to do the same thing.  I might conceivably have to do a minimal
reinstall on one machine, enough to get a minimal Bacula install up,
bscan media, and restore the other two servers, then use those to
properly restore the first.  That is always the worst-case scenario,
restoring everything from bare metal.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications