Hi Kern,

On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 10:41:12 +0200 Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Bacula maintains certain simple metrics about
> particular Volume (tape) usage in the Media record
> of the catalog.  So as long as you do not delete
> Volumes from the catalog, those metrics will
> persist.

Do you mean the 'list volumes' command? Which
particular metrics are in the context of my question
regarding tape life and retension?

> Another method to get metrics about particular tape
> Volumes is to use the tapealert code that was
> implemented in version 9.0.0 -- see my email post
> just prior to this one.

I am not quite sure which specific post you mean (I
see 2 of yours from 2018-09-21 and 2018-09-23). FWIW
if I run

/opt/bacula/scripts/tapealert /dev/nst0

it shows nothing. But if I run

/usr/sbin/tapeinfo -f /dev/nst0

I see some information about the tape drive itself.
Still I can't relate this to retension or age of tape.
Are we talking about the same thing?

> We are continuing to improve metrics, and sometime
> in the first half of next year, we will release code
> that allows you to continuously monitor the SD (also
> clients and the Director) using Graphite.

What is Graphite please?

--
George