The SAS controller was working with an IBM library with LTO-4 with another computer running bacula 5.xxx. When the IBM died we decided that it was time to upgrade rather than repair as the LTO-4 was no longer large enough to backup everything. We never really looked into whether it was the HBA or the library of both...

I noted when connecting the new library to the HBA that it hung at boot for 3 - 5 minutes before continuing, which gave me pause, but it finally continued without displaying any error. I reset the HBA to factory as well as changing many settings like not trying to boot and with each change the HBA hung at boot for a LONG time, so I am somewhat suspicious of the HBA.

Richard