Hello Radoslaw,

>> Speaking of Bacula HA, I've been deploying a scenario with relative success.
>> Primary Director & SD have copy jobs routines to a Secondary Remote SD that
>> also
>> has an independent working Director.
> It sounds to me as a Disaster Recovery solution and absolutely no High
> Availability.

Is there any difference?
For me there are two Disaster Recovery categories, Backup and Replication. HA
falls in the second category.

> In any HA solution you would assure that your services are running the highest
> uptime possible and this kind of solution in most cases is implemented with
> clusters. In this case you can loose currently uncommitted data (running jobs)
> but your services are ready to proceed next jobs as soon as possible.

I disagree a little bit. Replication purpose is provide the better possible
RTO.
For obvious reasons, Bacula cannot re-distribute a failed backup job yet
(perhaps never will), but I don't think it is necessarelly a problem for
Replication.
> HA implementation in Bacula is extremely straightforward when using a shared
> storage clustering solution.

>> Both director can access the Secondary SD.
>> An Admin Job with a Shell Script daily bscans all volumes in to the Secondary
>> Director and its catalog.
>> All bscanned volumes comes with the Archived status, so they are basically
>> Read-Only.
>> Advantage: you can restore jobs from both environments, any time. => [
>> http://bacula.us/bacula-server-and-backups-replication-for-high-availability/
>> http://bacula.us/bacula-server-and-backups-replication-for-high-availability/
>>  ]
>> Perhaps, a "bscan all" bconsole command would be a nice feature to sync all
>> disk
>> based volumes to catalog and improve the proccess a little bit more.

> This is a Disaster Recovery solution. A One-Way Failover. :)

Pot8to, potato. =)
>From Bacula perspective that's what we have today.
A surprising large amount of my customers wants Bacula HA but do not want to
use clusters or 3rd party solutions. Don't know the reason for that phenomenom.

Regards,
--

MSc Heitor Faria
CEO Bacula LATAM