Disregard my last post about it being a firewall. Obviously some data is being transferred, so I don't know where my brain was.

Wanderlei Huttel has given the most likely fix; to enable heartbeat. I ran into this once before. Since the client is a server, I'm going to assume that it didn't go into sleep mode. However, there are probably switches / routers in between this server and the director. Bacula-dir maintains a TCP connection with the client for the duration of a job and some energy-efficient switches do not handle this essentially inactive connection very well. They cut power to the port in such a way that the server bacula-dir is running on thinks that the other end dropped the connection. Bacula's heartbeat facility should keep the Dir->FD connection active and prevent the switch from putting the port into power-saving mode.