On Sunday, 26 December 2021 10:42:58 GMT Graham Dicker wrote:
> On Saturday, 25 December 2021 17:18:56 GMT Josip Deanovic wrote:
> > On Friday 2021-12-24 13:32:42 Graham Dicker wrote:
> > > Thanks for the tip Phil, which I will bear in mind if I ever get Bacula
> > > working again as it should (and has done for the past 10 years or more).
> > > Up until about a year ago my workstation would boot itself up when
> > > woken by the motherboard timer and Bacula would start running as a
> > > service and do the necessary backups. The first thing that stopped
> > > working was the service. There seemed to be some problem with timing
> > > between Bacula and mysql. I got around it by dropping the service and
> > > using crontab to start mysql and Bacula in that order. Then a few
> > > months ago that started failing due to some disagreement between
> > > akonadi, Bacula and mysql as to where the mysql socket was and which
> > > port was to be used. I solved that by total surrender to akonadi and
> > > told Bacula to use the socket created by akonadi. Now I don't know
> > > what's gone wrong. KMail behaviour has also changed in the last few day
> > > also; I have to click on it twice to make it start up. I think OpenSuse
> > > 15.3 must have had some dodgy updates recently.
> >
> > That would explain why your database disappeared. It seems that you
> > have been using mysql instance dedicated to akonadi service.
> >
> > I don't know how things are setup on Suse but on Centos/RHEL, akonadi
> > service would by default bring up its own mysql instance, with its own
> > mysql config file and data directory. It would also use its own socket.
> >
> > I wouldn't use that mysql instance for anything else but akonadi.
> >
> > I strongly suggest that you configure and bring up normal mysql service
> > which can safely be used for bacula and other services as you se fit.
> > If configured correctly you will not lose your databases any more.
> >
> > The timing between mysql and Bacula you have mentioned is likely caused
> > by the akonadi which starts its mysql instance and that happens only
> > during the graphical login or even after you start the "kontact" or
> > similar application such as "kmail".
> >

> > Regards!
>
> Thank you Josip this is very helpful. I have restored everything I had
> tinkered with back to what it was, that is:
>
> Removed specification of port and socket from /etc/my.cnf
> Removed specification of port and socket from bacula-dir.conf
>
> both of this were previously specifying the akonadi socket and port 3306
>
> now './bacula' start from a console as root puts this message in the log:
>
> 26-Dec 09:40 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Could not open Catalog
> "MyCatalog", database "bacula".
>
> If I run mysql from a console as root then 'use bacula' succeeds and I can
> access the tables but if i try the same thing as a normal user I get:
>
> MariaDB [(none)]> use bacula;
>
> KMail/akonadi behaviour is still not normal. I have to click the Kmail icon,
> then the desktop, then KMail icon again to get it to start, and at least
> the first time of collecting my POP3 email takes a lot longer than usual.

> [...]

I see that my attempts to paste messages copied from a console window into an
email are not working as I expect. Trying again...The message above should
have read:

26-Dec 09:39 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Could not open Catalog
"MyCatalog", database "bacula".
26-Dec 09:39 bacula-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: mysql.c:293 Unable to connect to
MySQL server.
Database=bacula User=bacula
MySQL connect failed either server not running or your authorization is
incorrect.
26-Dec 09:39 bacula-dir ERROR TERMINATION
Please correct configuration file: /opt/bacula/etc/bacula-dir.conf